It is everybody’s favorite time of year. Thanksgiving? No. Black Friday. No. Why it’s the MLS Expansion Draft!
Montreal finally has an opportunity to put a face to their franchise. Well 10 faces that is. There is plenty of talent available, take your pick from young raw players with potential or seasoned veterans. Often expansion teams trade their new players away or they simply don’t make an impact on the roster. This year could be different.
- MID Anthony Ampaipitakwong, San Jose Earthquakes – This University of Akron product is an exciting, attacking player that really makes me think this is a no-brainer pick.
- DEF Zarek Valentin, Chivas USA – Chivas USA has a lot of young talent for Montreal to choose from. The Impact could also choose Victor Estupinan or Blair Gavin and go away feeling like they got a steal. Valentin is another Akron product who has already become a solid defender on the Chivas USA backline, starting 24 games in 2011.
- MID Sanna Nyassi, Colorado Rapids – The Gambian international has amazing speed and is a proven attacker, scoring 5 goals in 2011. He would give the Impact pace in the midfield and would create havoc on opposing defenses, creating opportunities for Montreal’s strikers (whoever they may be).
- DEF Shaun Francis, Columbus Crew – The Jamaican was impressive in 10 starts in 2010. Francis struggled with injuries in 2011 and gave way to new Crew defenders Josh Gardner and Julius James, managing only 5 starts this season. He has speed and plenty of it and can get involved in the attack moving forward. He is very active with the ball and is a very capable outside back.
- GK Bouna Coundoul, New York Red Bulls – I have always been a fan of this erratic Senegalese keeper. He can make some amazing acrobatic saves, no doubt about that. Coundoul had a great season in 2010, claiming 27 starts for the Red Bulls. 11 of those starts were shutouts. Montreal could also opt for English midfielder John Rooney with the hopes that Wayne would drop by to catch a game.
- MID Jeb Brovsky, Vanocuver Whitecaps – Brovsky, a Notre Dame product, would be a great addition as either a holding or defensive midfielder. He played in 24 games in 2011, making 16 starts.
- FWD Soony Saad, Sporting Kansas City – Montreal could take a flyer on this young striker with immense potential. Saad was a star at Michigan after being named the Gatorade Player of the Year for 2009-2010.
- MID Cody Arnoux, Real Salt Lake – Arnoux was a collegiate star at Wake Forest, eventually earning a contract with Everton. The midfielder saw action in 7 games with the Everton Reserves before making his way back to MLS. Arnoux also trialed with Motherwell FC and Plymouth Argyle.
- FWD Roger Levesque, Seaatle Sounders FC – The veteran striker could make an early impact, providing leadership in the locker room and scoring on the pitch.
- MID Paolo Cardozo, LA Galaxy – The Galaxy had high hopes for the Uruguayan attacker who has spent time in Argentina. Cardozo has loads of potential and could be an MLS star in a few seasons.
Hope you enjoyed the ISN Mock Expansion Draft!